
Thanks for looking at my photo for the contest. I am submitting my "Crystal Gyser Water bottle" Costume. Halloween is my favorite time of year because I LOVE to SEW costumes!!
My four year old son - James Danger (yes Danger really is his middle name) couldn't decide what to be for halloween. Looking around my sewing room he saw a water bottle and proclaimed that he wanted to be a water bottle. I thought he would change his mind - so I made the other costumes first - but 1 month later he still insisted he wanted to be a water bottle. I really liked the challenge and felt that creative itch starting - the one that won't be satisfied until you make it and you make it good!
I made the body of the water bottle using clear vinyl (Joann's). I cut several 3" strips and sewed them together using clear thread for the ridged look on the bottum (just like the actual bottle). I made sure to include seam allowence for the casing at the top and the bottom. My original idea was use boneing - but the store was all out - so I found (for much cheaper) plastic tubing at Home Depot.
I used flannel for the label - including the title and the snow caped mountains. I sewed the mountains and letters onto the the light blue then the light blue onto the large red. I printed out the lettering and font I wanted and used it as a guide for cutting out the letters. i even connected some of the letters like on the actual bottle.
I clipped holes in the snow to creat a rocky look. I used fray stop on ALL seams! just in case!
For the hat - I cut a strip of felt and hemmed the bottom. Then I made pleats every inch and sewed them into to place. then I sewed the pleasts to the top of the hat and added a very thick interfacing on the inside top. it fit perfect! i didn't need an elastic band or tie (he wouldn't have worn it if I had too!)
On the back I included a bar code. I used felt so I only had to sew the tiny lines on with one line of stitching - no fraying! What a great way to date the costume! 10-31-2011
I really think this costume deserves to be in the top 12 because it is so very unique! I started from scratch! - no idea what i was going to do - I just headed to the fabric store with a water bottle in my hand. I also think it takes some creativity and skill to sew such a difficult fabric.
difficult fabric + no pattern + originality= top 12!!!
For fun here is a picture of me with my family on Halloween. I am Little Bo Peep, my daughter is my not so lost sheep. My son of course - and my hubby as pumpkin pie. Thanks for looking!
No comments:
Post a Comment